It’s that time of year again. PLEASE help spread to word to keep the safely ladders (including L1) in place out at Oak Street Beach. You can contact the Park District at 312.742.PLAY (7529) or go to the Chicago Park District Facebook Page and post a note.
I’m reposting Dave’s comments from last year below. While the year has changed, the issue is still the same.
*** RED ALERT ***
As we all know all too well … The summer of 2009 never arrived as promised and very very soon the Chicago Park District will pull all of the swim ladders at Oak Street Beach….
1) If someone one slips and falls in this winter, it’s a long cold swim to try to get out
2) Many people continue to swim in the fall, winter, and spring
3) The fire and police scuba squads use the area for training and rescues, and they use the ladders
4) The city can save money by not removing the ladders and re-installing them the next year
5) The winter ice has not damaged Ladder #1 over the last 10 years, and it has stayed in year round
6) The new ladders at Montrose are welded in and cannot be removed
*** Hopefully if all of us call to plead our case they might leave in the ladders…
Call now and do not wait or you might show up for a swim next Tuesday and find all of the ladders gone….
Oak Street Beach