2009 has been an amazing year for Open Water Chicago – and we certainly didn’t waste any time getting started. Just after sunrise on January 1, 2009, three of us – Chris, Dave, and I – donned our thermal gear and waded out past the wood pilings at North Avenue Beach into the mostly frozen open water for a New Year’s Day 1/2 mile. This pretty much set the tone for “OWC” going forward and essentially captured what we are all about.
Over the course of the year, we welcomed all types of people out at Ladder #1 as well as within our virtual community. And as we continued to highlight our adventures and share critical swimming and fitness-related information with the general public, Open Water Chicago soon became an epicenter for both a local and global community of sports and fitness enthusiasts seeking to add a bit more excitement to their workouts – and to perhaps test their limits beyond what they thought was possible.
Given this evolution, I’ve made a few changes to Open Water Chicago to further foster this growing movement. First – although not anything new to OWC regulars – we’ve officially formalized our mission and purpose accordingly:
Open Water Chicago exists to deliver “adventures in fitness” to both the local and global communities of sports enthusiasts. We are committed to providing you with the best information and opportunities you need to optimize your health and to fully experience the joy of being in the elements.
What this means is that, from this point forward, we will focus our efforts on creating value for you by doing (or continuing to do) the following:
– Organizing group open water swim meetups and events
– Publishing “on-site” updates on Lake Michigan swim conditions and water temperatures
– Publishing positive, entertaining, and motivational news on local swim-related activities
– Researching and posting key swimming-related content
– Researching and posting key fitness-related content
– Leveraging the strength and influence of OWC to advance the causes and interests that impact both the Great Lakes and the Chicago health/fitness communities
And one other thing…We’ve also got a COOL NEW LOGO that we’ll be putting on various items you can buy to help support OWC and our mission!
That’s it for now. Stay tuned for more awesome updates!