1) Never eat anything that comes in a box (pasta, cereal, crackers…) Stick to the peripheral aisles at the grocery store.
2) Drink only whole milk, water or iced tea – you will get good nutrition from the milk, and water and homemade iced tea are dirt cheap or free. People spend a fortune on liquid food that is just High Fructose Corn Syrup and water. I drink only water at restaurants – I spend my money on the food instead.
3) Eat salads and veggies that you like.
4) Eggs are the perfect food and cheap protein- they contain amino acids in the exact ratio as found in your body (of course they do, they are meant to grow a bird fetus from scratch!) I eat 4-6 eggs a day at a cost of no more than a dollar a day.
4) If you can’t afford high quality grass-fed beef or bison, buy shoulder cuts and pork butts and smoke them or slow cook them. Take some fish oil to balance the high Omega 6’s with Omega 3’s.
5) Buy whole chickens and grill them – be sure to eat the skin, that’s the best part. Or go to Sam’s club for the 3 lb already roasted chicken – feeds a family of four for $5.
6) Drink half and half or whole cream for breakfast or add it to your coffee. Cheap, healthy (low insulin response) and fills you up.
While I would go easier on the diary products, these are pretty solid recommendations.